Thursday, December 2, 2010

We’re on a Diet! Yay……

As most of you know, John Paul has a slight kidney stone issue. The doctor has now put him on a “kidney stone diet” and limited his sodium, calcium, oxalate, anything with taste, intake. And he’s also on a diuretic. Like old people take. :)

This new diet is pure hell! Have you tried to cook with low sodium or salt free foods before? No? Well, it’s just flippin’ awesome! Honestly I didn’t realize how much sodium was in everything we eat! Now we eat boiled water for supper – hold the salt!

Toon500

I’m trying to be a lovely wife and conform to this new diet, but let’s be honest, Berty is going to be hardcore. I’m surprised he hasn’t bought a little book to keep up with how much sodium, calcium, oxalate, etc. he has consumed for the day. He even printed a handy little packet for me that details the sodium content of everything edible in the entire universe. Sweet, huh?

I’m all about lowering the sodium and preventing future penile stents but I cooked dinner the other night and had a slight breakdown. I may or may not have taken crescent rolls out of the oven , umm mid-bake, and maybe thrown them. I can’t recall the specifics. Bert realized they have 230mg of sodium per roll and refused to eat them. Not my best moment. :)

Needless to say, it’s been a hard adjustment but I’m really trying. Meltdowns may happen but let’s just blame that on the pregnancy. K thanks.

7 comments:

Mrs. Werginz said...

Oh no! I hope the diet helps JP but you and baby need some sodium! I am trying to picture you throwing crescents and I am laughing in my office! haha

JB said...

Kidney stones are the devil. I followed my doctor's strict diet and, of course, still get kidney stones. I pray for you the diet works out for him! GOOD LUCK

Jenny Strickland said...

I hope it helps!

Boiled water hold the salt may have made me pee myself! =)

Susannah said...

Oh my-this may be awful since you're pregnant. That sounds super hard!! And he may have to make his own shit if he can't appresh your cookings. :)

BRITTNI said...

UM, I CAN DEFINITELY SEE YOU ACTING A FOOL THROWING SOME ROLLS. POOR JP. U NEED TO CHILL BRIT! :)...U TRY HAVING A PENILE STENT AND SEE IF YOU ABIDE BY THE NEW DIET...LOVES YA!

LWLH said...

Bert be would doing that on his own if I was his wife and preggers....mama needs some salt on her fries!

Chrissi said...

hey pretty lady...i gave you an 'award'...go check it out :)