Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baby Mama Drama

Tips and Tricks Tuesday

Being a mother is the hardest and most rewarding experience. And seriously this is not intended to be an overly dramatic post. Just honest and maybe informative.

I love being a mommy and a lot of times I wish I could stay at home with Turner McCartney every day. But then on days where sleep is non existent, I’m thankful for the time I have away from the babe. And honestly I think it makes me love her more!

I always thought the hard part would be getting the baby through the vag and into the world. Wrong. Everyone says that your lives will never be the same and I promise they are right. For the most part. YOUR life will never be the same. You will sacrifice and you will never sleep again. You will spend your free time pumping, doing 17 loads of laundry, and washing bottles and pump parts.

You’ll lose the baby weight because there’s no time for you to eat. And when you find time to snack, your baby will immediately cry. You’ll learn to do things with a baby in your arms. You’ll multi task like never before. And while your life is completely changed, your husband’s life continues like normal. Sure he’s a dad now, but his obligations do not match those of yours.

Playing with the babe while you do laundry, wash dishes, clean the never ending sink full of bottles….all these things are helpful. He’ll change diapers and feed the baby and try to keep her entertained. But if he needs to shower he does. If he’s hungry, he eats. Needs to run to the store, done. You’re going to be lucky to bathe weekly. Trust me there are plenty of other things you can be doing while the babe takes a rare nap.

Bedtime will test your marriage like nothing else. If your baby naps and goes to sleep like a perfect child, please don’t tell me. Jealousy is an ugly thing.

I love my life as a wife and a mommy. I long for the days where I play with a baby all day and I survive on 5 hours of sleep a night. It’s hard but there’s nothing I would rather do. Except maybe eat. A baby changes everything….for the better.

7 comments:

Amber said...

What a great post and oh so very true!

Sarah said...

I could not say it better and as a seasoned mama I can tell you that YOU WILL be able to function on 5 hours of sleep and maybe even enjoy a glass of wine after she's in bed. Promise. :)

Ashley said...

I came over from Meagan's link up. I wish I lost weight from not eating :( I was trying to make dinner for my dad on Sunday and I was in the kitchen with my baby eating of my boob WHILE i made a salad. I wanted my husband to take a picture to document how ridiculous my life looked in that moment :)

LWLH said...

Great post...what a realistic and honest outlook.

Meagan said...

Thanks for linking up! You KNOW I feel the same way!!!

lg2006 said...

truer words have never been spoken!> Daddies always get to do what they need to like eat, shower and sleep and mommy is left to do all the :heavy lifting".. it gets better as they get older tho

This Cookn' Mom said...

Soo...I love your blog. Hilarious, real, and uncensored. Following...